Search this site
- ‘What Diplomats Do’ in paperback with discount to end 2017 – newsflash
- My book “What Diplomats Do: the life and work of diplomats” now also out in paperback: with a big discount available (now extended to the end of 2017)
- 2016 elections: Labour needs to build a progressive alliance and adopt a new far-sighted narrative
- Labour and the EU: an open letter to Mr Corbyn
- The Brussels bombings: no, Islamist terrorism is not a response to a western war on Islam (with clarification of 27 March)
- Waiting for Armageddon: an exchange of gloomy views
- Labour should support UK bombing of Da’esh (ISIS) in Syria to help hold the line while an interim political settlement is negotiated
- Does Security Council Resolution 2249 (2015) of 20 November make bombing ISIL in Syria legal? Yes!
- Trident: Mr Corbyn and the General
- Notice to contributors of comments and subscribers to Ephems blog
Get posts by email
Subscribe for email updates
- Brian on 9th May
Chris, thank you for that. But in my view, FWIW, it's the preponderant size and power of England compared with ...
- Chris Vine on 8th May
Two points of caution. First, having a separate English Parliament risks destabilising the UK. It could possibly be made to ...
- David Ratford on 2nd May
The most striking (and depressing) thing about the current debate is that both sides concentrate almost exclusively on the economic ...
- petermartin2001 on 2nd May
I'd just like to clarify my previous comment that "Brexiters have the better arguments". I probably should have used the ...
- john greenwell on 2nd May
I agree with Brian's comments
- john greenwell on 2nd May
I agree with this completely
- Oliver Miles on 1st May
Some excellent stuff here, but for me as a non-party man it is a pity to present the arguments as ...
- David Campbell on 28th March
I welcome the way you've refocussed the argument. The Easter Rising Centenary raises the issue you address in a longer ...
- Phil on 28th March
Once more into the comment box... I've got a few points in response to the original post, but first I'd ...
- Brian on 27th March
Brian writes: In reply to David Campbell: Thanks. I agree with much of what you say -- indeed, some of ...
- robin fairlie on 27th March
I agree in principle with the message, Brian, but it is inadequate to suggest (as, no doubt unintentionally , you do) ...
- Rob on 27th March
This is a seriously persuasive article. However, you write: "The west has been responsible for plenty of costly and murderous ...
- Ellen on 25th March
Well that totally sucks and I'm so sorry you had to go through it. I'm looking at a knee replacement ...
- Paul Sharp on 15th March
Fair points brutally made, Robin. I particularly liked the use of "Professor" in a manner suggesting more of Professor Jimmy ...
- robin fairlie on 8th March
Yes, well, it's grand to have it confirmed by such an eminent citizen as Professor Sharp that some (perhaps all) ...
- Paul Sharp on 29th February
Thanks for the clarification re the diplomats, Brian. here are two of my own. First, the good citizens of Duluth ...
- formula57 on 28th February
Reflecting that "It’s really a miracle that anything works at all, and no surprise that not much does", one can ...
- Brian on 27th February
Brian writes: I'm grateful for all these recent comments. To Paul Sharp I would say only that I envy the ...
- Jane Barder on 20th December
Thank you for your interesting comment, Paul. I do have more information about the Triebner ladies, the fruits of further ...
- Paul Freeman on 19th December
Dear Jane and Brian Thank you for your interesting and erudite family history. I might be able to tidy up ...
- Older »
2016 elections: Labour needs to build a progressive alliance and adopt a new far-sighted narrative (2 comments)
Labour and the EU: an open letter to Mr Corbyn (6 comments)
The Brussels bombings: no, Islamist terrorism is not a response to a western war on... (9 comments)
Diary of a knee replacement: 16 April to end May 2013 (16 comments)
Waiting for Armageddon: an exchange of gloomy views (12 comments)
The Triebners of Germany, Georgia and England (12 comments)