Search this site
- Scotland’s independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat
- You can buy ‘What Diplomats Do’ with a substantial discount
- The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour’s opportunity
- The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence
- “What Diplomats Do”: Information for university teachers and book reviewers about new book
- “What Diplomats Do – the life and work of diplomats” is published and available to order
- On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker
- It ain’t over till the well-built lady sings*
- Mr Clegg wants to remain in government. A minority Labour government should deny him that privilege
- IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion
- Brian on Sep 17, 7:06 PM
Pete, thanks for your latest conundrum (here). First, I have tried to avoid referring to the UK negotiating with Scotland: I hope I have always ...
- Pete Kercher on Sep 17, 2:43 PM
Here's another conundrum to consider, Brian. I find a certain incongruousness when I see reference to the UK government negotiating with the Scottish government. Until ...
- Timothy Weakley on Sep 16, 6:31 PM
Brian, you concluded your comment at 3.56 on the 16th: 'So maybe Gordon Brown and David Cameron (unlikely pair) are both wrong in saying that ...
- Brian on Sep 16, 3:56 PM
Paul Sharp and Derek Tonkin, in separate comments, here and here, coincidentally and almost simultaneously make similar points: "... is it really a now-and-for-all -time deal? ...
- john miles on Sep 16, 2:56 PM
"The ordinary new MP from an ordinary family will be very lucky indeed to rise to ministerial office and even luckier to make such a ...
- jo mckenzie on Sep 16, 10:37 PM
My partner is 7 years over.tariff, so please dont give up hope, i pray everyday for this all to be over , but i nevet ...
- lesley vann on Sep 16, 9:18 PM
Thank you Brian I will never give up hope on my Son I just want him home with his beloved family. Today 16th September and ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 05, 6:04 PM
My Son has now done six years in real terms a twelve year sentence and he is waiting to hear from the parole board to ...
- Helen on Sep 01, 1:13 PM
This is shocking, and you do have my sincere sympathy, Joanne. Our son served 7 years with just an 18 month tariff, but thankfully, has ...
- joanne mckenzie on Aug 31, 10:41 PM
My partner got a n IPP sentence with a tariff of 3years ,but he is into his 10year!
- Oliver Miles on Sep 10, 6:08 PM
Perhaps it's time to start from a new base, given the changes which have occurred since these postings, in particular the polls which seem to ...
- john miles on Aug 10, 3:14 PM
" None would now describe him- or herself as ‘New’ Labour." You bet they wouldn't.
- formula57 on Aug 09, 9:43 PM
Thank you for your further remarks and for the link to your post and comments on Labour List: I did indeed find those interesting.
- john miles on Aug 09, 10:25 AM
"New Labour is Old Hat!" What about Harman, Balls, Darliing, Murphy, Alexander, Cooper, Burnham, Flint, Benn and Co? Have they all changed their spots? Brian ...
- formula57 on Aug 09, 6:25 AM
Many thanks for your illuminating response. I appreciate your kindness in framing it. I have some difficulty with the view that the government should resign ...
- john miles on Sep 02, 8:54 PM
What do professional diplomats think should do, or should have done, about Vladimir Putin?
- Timothy Weakley on Sep 01, 10:41 AM
The above discussion is fascinating. Was there ever a contra-indicato ry occasion when the politicians proved right, in either the short term or the long, to ...
- john miles on Aug 25, 11:02 PM
Further thought on Mrs Thatcher, listening to diplomats, Suez.and - apparently - World Wars One and Two. Some people call it Confirmation Bias. We're all ...
- Michael Hornsby on Aug 20, 7:04 PM
Thanks for that response, Brian. I had indeed not fully taken on board your reply to Professor Paul Sharp, which answered some of the points ...
- john miles on Aug 19, 9:05 PM
"I think the rot set in with Mrs (as she then was) Thatcher..." Is she to blame for Suez?
- Older »
Scotland's independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat (17 comments)
IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion (7 comments)
The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence (11 comments)
The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour's opportunity (12 comments)
- 21C Media Group New York
- Airynothingness by Baralbion
- Andy Worthington
- Charles Crawford’s Blogoir
- Chicken Yoghurt
- Consider Phlebas
- Councillor Bob Piper’s blog
- Craig Murray's weblog
- Downing Street blog
- John Greenwell's blog
- Justine’s JutsaBlog
- Labour List
- Lily Wen, Dancer, Singer, Actress
- Martin Kelly’s Blog
- Mike Little’s daily thoughts
- Ministry of Truth
- My heart is in Accra
- Norman Geras’s normblog
- Owen’s musings
- Patrick’s Plague of Opinion
- Paul Evans’s NeverTrustAHippy blog
- Peter Harvey’s Lavengro in Spain
- Philobiblon: Natalie’s blog for the literate
- Rachel of North London
- Squawks of Budgie Lee Barnett
- Stephen Pollard’s weblog
- Stumbling and Mumbling
- The Gaping Silence (Phil’s blog)
- The Samovar
- Tom Freeman’s Viva-Freemania
- Tony Hatfield’s Retired Ramblings
- Zoe of Brussels says her boyfriend is a twat