Search this site
- Scotland’s independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat
- You can buy ‘What Diplomats Do’ with a substantial discount
- The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour’s opportunity
- The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence
- “What Diplomats Do”: Information for university teachers and book reviewers about new book
- “What Diplomats Do – the life and work of diplomats” is published and available to order
- On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker
- It ain’t over till the well-built lady sings*
- Mr Clegg wants to remain in government. A minority Labour government should deny him that privilege
- IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion
- Paul Sharp on Sep 15, 4:29 PM
Excellent exercise in thought-provoca tion as always Brian. I take comfort from my American colleagues asking "what's the big deal?" We all know Britain is really ...
- Pete Kercher on Sep 14, 8:27 PM
I note that John Miles describes his opinion as "hopelessly arrogant"... but that would appear to make two of us and I suspect we would ...
- john miles on Sep 14, 7:43 PM
So why are Labour’s leader, Ed Miliband, and his front bench colleagues not already emphasising publicly and on every possible occasion that in the event ...
- john miles on Sep 14, 6:47 PM
I hope the Scots will vote No, though if I were a Scot myself I'd probably vote Yes. I can't help thinking we may be ...
- john miles on Sep 14, 6:37 PM
"Anyone going into it (politics} in the hope of making money for herself (or himself) will be in for a very nasty surprise." Some of ...
- Oliver Miles on Sep 10, 6:08 PM
Perhaps it's time to start from a new base, given the changes which have occurred since these postings, in particular the polls which seem to ...
- john miles on Aug 10, 3:14 PM
" None would now describe him- or herself as ‘New’ Labour." You bet they wouldn't.
- formula57 on Aug 09, 9:43 PM
Thank you for your further remarks and for the link to your post and comments on Labour List: I did indeed find those interesting.
- john miles on Aug 09, 10:25 AM
"New Labour is Old Hat!" What about Harman, Balls, Darliing, Murphy, Alexander, Cooper, Burnham, Flint, Benn and Co? Have they all changed their spots? Brian ...
- formula57 on Aug 09, 6:25 AM
Many thanks for your illuminating response. I appreciate your kindness in framing it. I have some difficulty with the view that the government should resign ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 05, 6:04 PM
My Son has now done six years in real terms a twelve year sentence and he is waiting to hear from the parole board to ...
- Helen on Sep 01, 1:13 PM
This is shocking, and you do have my sincere sympathy, Joanne. Our son served 7 years with just an 18 month tariff, but thankfully, has ...
- joanne mckenzie on Aug 31, 10:41 PM
My partner got a n IPP sentence with a tariff of 3years ,but he is into his 10year!
- john miles on Sep 02, 8:54 PM
What do professional diplomats think should do, or should have done, about Vladimir Putin?
- Timothy Weakley on Sep 01, 10:41 AM
The above discussion is fascinating. Was there ever a contra-indicato ry occasion when the politicians proved right, in either the short term or the long, to ...
- john miles on Aug 25, 11:02 PM
Further thought on Mrs Thatcher, listening to diplomats, Suez.and - apparently - World Wars One and Two. Some people call it Confirmation Bias. We're all ...
- Michael Hornsby on Aug 20, 7:04 PM
Thanks for that response, Brian. I had indeed not fully taken on board your reply to Professor Paul Sharp, which answered some of the points ...
- john miles on Aug 19, 9:05 PM
"I think the rot set in with Mrs (as she then was) Thatcher..." Is she to blame for Suez?
- Brian on Jun 27, 12:28 PM
I have added the following as a footnote to my post "On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker": "An abbreviated version of this post has ...
- Peter Harvey on Jun 24, 3:17 PM
There is a detailed description of the background to this situation here: http://andrewdu ff.blogactiv.eu /2014/06/23/the -european-union s-leadership-cr isis-whos-to-bl ame-and-why-it- matters/
- Older »
Scotland's independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat (11 comments)
The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence (11 comments)
IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion (5 comments)
The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour's opportunity (12 comments)
On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker (5 comments)
- 21C Media Group New York
- Airynothingness by Baralbion
- Andy Worthington
- Charles Crawford’s Blogoir
- Chicken Yoghurt
- Consider Phlebas
- Councillor Bob Piper’s blog
- Craig Murray's weblog
- Downing Street blog
- John Greenwell's blog
- Justine’s JutsaBlog
- Labour List
- Lily Wen, Dancer, Singer, Actress
- Martin Kelly’s Blog
- Mike Little’s daily thoughts
- Ministry of Truth
- My heart is in Accra
- Norman Geras’s normblog
- Owen’s musings
- Patrick’s Plague of Opinion
- Paul Evans’s NeverTrustAHippy blog
- Peter Harvey’s Lavengro in Spain
- Philobiblon: Natalie’s blog for the literate
- Rachel of North London
- Squawks of Budgie Lee Barnett
- Stephen Pollard’s weblog
- Stumbling and Mumbling
- The Gaping Silence (Phil’s blog)
- The Samovar
- Tom Freeman’s Viva-Freemania
- Tony Hatfield’s Retired Ramblings
- Zoe of Brussels says her boyfriend is a twat
Non-blog website pages in this category (for Ephems blog posts, please click the category you want in the right-hand side panel under ‘Categories’):
- IPPs: extracts from parliamentary papers, October 2011
- John Greenwell on SIAC Torture Cases
- The painful truth
- Extracts from RIPA 2000
- Myra Hindley
- Guantanamo: an email
- From prison to house arrest: out of the frying pan
- Detention without trial: Letter to the Times
- Release of C – extracts
- Mary Bell: Monster or Victim?