Search this site
- Lloyd George in cartoons, by Alan Mumford
- Scotland has saved the UK: now it’s time for self-government for England
- Scotland’s independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat
- You can buy ‘What Diplomats Do’ with a substantial discount
- The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour’s opportunity
- The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence
- “What Diplomats Do”: Information for university teachers and book reviewers about new book
- “What Diplomats Do – the life and work of diplomats” is published and available to order
- On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker
- It ain’t over till the well-built lady sings*
- Claire Finch on Oct 15, 2:32 PM
I have recently come into possession of a photo of my Nanna's who passed away this month aged 93 which is a photo of her ...
- john miles on Oct 10, 1:21 PM
"Even when it’s a rake, apparently." I'm afraid you've got it all wrong. A spade is one thing, a rake another. So you shouldn't be ...
- john miles on Oct 08, 7:20 PM
I think I've read somebody somewhere saying, "I haven't left the Labour Party, The Labour Party's left me," or words to that effect. I second ...
- john miles on Oct 08, 7:11 PM
"New Labour (as he insists in calling it." So David Campbell. I do my best to call a spade a spade' Brian writes: Even when ...
- David Campbell on Oct 03, 12:26 PM
Thanks for yesterday's comment, Brian. Much as I admire the single-mindedne ss with which you promote your version of a Federal United Kingdom, I am not ...
- David Campbell on Oct 01, 3:55 PM
No, Brian, the course advocated in my post of 21 September is not pessimistic or incapable of debate. It's pragmatic. It responds to British tradition ...
- Michael Tyler on Oct 05, 8:28 PM
One brief addendum to my post about Sir Brian Urquhart. Thank God for the UK honors system, odd anachronism as it may be. It has ...
- Michael Tyler on Oct 05, 8:23 PM
Brian, Brian Barder, I am writing to say that you performed a true public service through this excellent brief appreciation of the life and work ...
- Gavin Hewitt on Sep 22, 3:14 PM
Dear Brian Your thoughts and responses on the referendum and the outcome for Scotland in the event of a "yes" vote (which fortunately was not ...
- Iain Orr on Sep 18, 10:22 PM
Brian: Thanks for your well-reasoned pessimistic speculation that even if the vote is No, the Labour Party is unlikely to develop a full-bloodied federal solution ...
- Brian on Sep 18, 6:52 PM
Iain, thank you for these intriguing forecasts (here). I agree broadly with both. However I think that whichever way the vote goes today in Scotland, ...
- Iain Orr on Sep 18, 10:43 AM
Today's referendum may have two counter-intuiti ve results. If Yes wins, Alex Salmond’s position will immediately become vulnerable as failure to deliver success in the independence ...
- Brian on Sep 17, 7:06 PM
Pete, thanks for your latest conundrum (here). First, I have tried to avoid referring to the UK negotiating with Scotland: I hope I have always ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 18, 6:26 PM
I have been to see my Son today and it really hurts me to leave him. I always wonder will I be alive when he ...
- jo mckenzie on Sep 16, 10:37 PM
My partner is 7 years over.tariff, so please dont give up hope, i pray everyday for this all to be over , but i nevet ...
- lesley vann on Sep 16, 9:18 PM
Thank you Brian I will never give up hope on my Son I just want him home with his beloved family. Today 16th September and ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 05, 6:04 PM
My Son has now done six years in real terms a twelve year sentence and he is waiting to hear from the parole board to ...
- Helen on Sep 01, 1:13 PM
This is shocking, and you do have my sincere sympathy, Joanne. Our son served 7 years with just an 18 month tariff, but thankfully, has ...
- Oliver Miles on Sep 10, 6:08 PM
Perhaps it's time to start from a new base, given the changes which have occurred since these postings, in particular the polls which seem to ...
- john miles on Sep 02, 8:54 PM
What do professional diplomats think should do, or should have done, about Vladimir Putin?
- Older »
Remembering the war: VE Day and before (7 comments)
Scotland has saved the UK: now it's time for self-government for England (24 comments)
Homage to Brian Urquhart (with up-date 5 Jan 09) (3 comments)
Scotland's independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat (22 comments)
IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion (8 comments)
The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence (11 comments)
The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour's opportunity (12 comments)
- 21C Media Group New York
- Airynothingness by Baralbion
- Andy Worthington
- Charles Crawford’s Blogoir
- Chicken Yoghurt
- Consider Phlebas
- Councillor Bob Piper’s blog
- Craig Murray's weblog
- Downing Street blog
- John Greenwell's blog
- Justine’s JutsaBlog
- Labour List
- Lily Wen, Dancer, Singer, Actress
- Martin Kelly’s Blog
- Mike Little’s daily thoughts
- Ministry of Truth
- My heart is in Accra
- Norman Geras’s normblog
- Owen’s musings
- Patrick’s Plague of Opinion
- Paul Evans’s NeverTrustAHippy blog
- Peter Harvey’s Lavengro in Spain
- Philobiblon: Natalie’s blog for the literate
- Rachel of North London
- Squawks of Budgie Lee Barnett
- Stephen Pollard’s weblog
- Stumbling and Mumbling
- The Gaping Silence (Phil’s blog)
- The Samovar
- Tom Freeman’s Viva-Freemania
- Tony Hatfield’s Retired Ramblings
- Zoe of Brussels says her boyfriend is a twat
Non-blog website pages in this category (for Ephems blog posts, please click the category you want in the right-hand side panel under ‘Categories’):
- IPPs: extracts from parliamentary papers, October 2011
- John Greenwell on SIAC Torture Cases
- The painful truth
- Extracts from RIPA 2000
- Myra Hindley
- Guantanamo: an email
- From prison to house arrest: out of the frying pan
- Detention without trial: Letter to the Times
- Release of C – extracts
- Mary Bell: Monster or Victim?