Search this site
- A brilliant (free) book about a Victorian diplomatic whistle-blower
- Lloyd George in cartoons, by Alan Mumford
- Scotland has saved the UK: now it’s time for self-government for England
- Scotland’s independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat
- You can buy ‘What Diplomats Do’ with a substantial discount
- The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour’s opportunity
- The coalition government should resign forthwith if Scotland votes for independence
- “What Diplomats Do”: Information for university teachers and book reviewers about new book
- “What Diplomats Do – the life and work of diplomats” is published and available to order
- On foolishly trying to junk Mr Juncker
- Oliver Miles on Nov 13, 6:36 PM
You refer to Mrs Thatcher's distrust of the FCO and politicisation of the senior ranks of the civil service. That is only part of the ...
- Mavis Hall Mavis Hall on Nov 05, 11:00 PM
My son went to court for murder he had a professor backing him for diminished responsability but my son was ashamed what he done kept ...
- Jane Daniels on Nov 01, 12:21 AM
Hi, firstly many thanks for your very informative website, especially as I am in despair with son who has gone pass this IPP tariff and ...
- Claire Finch on Oct 15, 2:32 PM
I have recently come into possession of a photo of my Nanna's who passed away this month aged 93 which is a photo of her ...
- john miles on Oct 10, 1:21 PM
"Even when it’s a rake, apparently." I'm afraid you've got it all wrong. A spade is one thing, a rake another. So you shouldn't be ...
- john miles on Oct 08, 7:20 PM
I think I've read somebody somewhere saying, "I haven't left the Labour Party, The Labour Party's left me," or words to that effect. I second ...
- john miles on Oct 08, 7:11 PM
"New Labour (as he insists in calling it." So David Campbell. I do my best to call a spade a spade' Brian writes: Even when ...
- David Campbell on Oct 03, 12:26 PM
Thanks for yesterday's comment, Brian. Much as I admire the single-mindedne ss with which you promote your version of a Federal United Kingdom, I am not ...
- David Campbell on Oct 01, 3:55 PM
No, Brian, the course advocated in my post of 21 September is not pessimistic or incapable of debate. It's pragmatic. It responds to British tradition ...
- Michael Tyler on Oct 05, 8:28 PM
One brief addendum to my post about Sir Brian Urquhart. Thank God for the UK honors system, odd anachronism as it may be. It has ...
- Michael Tyler on Oct 05, 8:23 PM
Brian, Brian Barder, I am writing to say that you performed a true public service through this excellent brief appreciation of the life and work ...
- Gavin Hewitt on Sep 22, 3:14 PM
Dear Brian Your thoughts and responses on the referendum and the outcome for Scotland in the event of a "yes" vote (which fortunately was not ...
- Iain Orr on Sep 18, 10:22 PM
Brian: Thanks for your well-reasoned pessimistic speculation that even if the vote is No, the Labour Party is unlikely to develop a full-bloodied federal solution ...
- Brian on Sep 18, 6:52 PM
Iain, thank you for these intriguing forecasts (here). I agree broadly with both. However I think that whichever way the vote goes today in Scotland, ...
- Iain Orr on Sep 18, 10:43 AM
Today's referendum may have two counter-intuiti ve results. If Yes wins, Alex Salmond’s position will immediately become vulnerable as failure to deliver success in the independence ...
- Brian on Sep 17, 7:06 PM
Pete, thanks for your latest conundrum (here). First, I have tried to avoid referring to the UK negotiating with Scotland: I hope I have always ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 18, 6:26 PM
I have been to see my Son today and it really hurts me to leave him. I always wonder will I be alive when he ...
- jo mckenzie on Sep 16, 10:37 PM
My partner is 7 years over.tariff, so please dont give up hope, i pray everyday for this all to be over , but i nevet ...
- lesley vann on Sep 16, 9:18 PM
Thank you Brian I will never give up hope on my Son I just want him home with his beloved family. Today 16th September and ...
- Lesley Vann on Sep 05, 6:04 PM
My Son has now done six years in real terms a twelve year sentence and he is waiting to hear from the parole board to ...
- Older »
The dangerous decline of the FCO: Labour's opportunity (13 comments)
Action on a continuing scandal: thousands still *indefinitely* imprisoned "for public protection" (25 comments)
Links (1 comments)
Remembering the war: VE Day and before (7 comments)
Scotland has saved the UK: now it's time for self-government for England (24 comments)
Homage to Brian Urquhart (with up-date 5 Jan 09) (3 comments)
Scotland's independence referendum: some confusions in the commentariat (22 comments)
IPPs: please urge your MP to sign this important early Day Motion (8 comments)
- 21C Media Group New York
- Airynothingness by Baralbion
- Andy Worthington
- Charles Crawford’s Blogoir
- Chicken Yoghurt
- Consider Phlebas
- Councillor Bob Piper’s blog
- Craig Murray's weblog
- Downing Street blog
- John Greenwell's blog
- Justine’s JutsaBlog
- Labour List
- Lily Wen, Dancer, Singer, Actress
- Martin Kelly’s Blog
- Mike Little’s daily thoughts
- Ministry of Truth
- My heart is in Accra
- Norman Geras’s normblog
- Owen’s musings
- Patrick’s Plague of Opinion
- Paul Evans’s NeverTrustAHippy blog
- Peter Harvey’s Lavengro in Spain
- Philobiblon: Natalie’s blog for the literate
- Rachel of North London
- Squawks of Budgie Lee Barnett
- Stephen Pollard’s weblog
- Stumbling and Mumbling
- The Gaping Silence (Phil’s blog)
- The Samovar
- Tom Freeman’s Viva-Freemania
- Tony Hatfield’s Retired Ramblings
- Zoe of Brussels says her boyfriend is a twat
Non-blog website pages in this category (for Ephems blog posts, please click the category you want in the right-hand side panel under ‘Categories’):
- IPPs: extracts from parliamentary papers, October 2011
- John Greenwell on SIAC Torture Cases
- The painful truth
- Extracts from RIPA 2000
- Myra Hindley
- Guantanamo: an email
- From prison to house arrest: out of the frying pan
- Detention without trial: Letter to the Times
- Release of C – extracts
- Mary Bell: Monster or Victim?